Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Daisypath Ticker

A trip to the Malay Heritage Centre




Today, Mis, Nuraini and I brought our Sec 1s Malay students to the Malay Heritage Centre. There were 110 students altogether. And I had to take care of the Sec 1Ns and 1Ts. :'(

It was my 1st trip there so I was also looking forward to going there. We were greeted by a group of performers who performed the Selamat Datang dance. Then, the host, Saliza introduced us to various aspects of the Malay culture such as dance, musical instruments, daily props and utensils of the Malays as well as costumes. The show ended when all the students had to take part in the Joget. Quite funny ah they all. But they were very sporting. Couldnt get much photos coz I was attending to a girl who got giddy in the middle of the show.

After that, we went into the museum. I was disappointed by it. It was because there was not much to see. Where are all our ancient artifacts?? Where are all the royal letters?? Hmmmm....I know where they are. They are in other places except here. They are all in universities overseas for the Westerners to study. This really disappoint me further. Where are all our people? Shouldn't we be the one studying about us? About our past? About our ancestors? Yes, there are a few......A TEENY WEENY FEW.

ANother disappointment was, the whole thing was conducted in English when all the people present were all Malays. That is so contradicting. Here U built this place to introduce Malay culture to people, to ensure that Malay culture wun extinct just like that....but the basic MALAY LANGUAGE was not even used. Yes, I understand that this place is meant for tourists. But hey...pls be flexible. If U see the whole room full of Malays, then converse in Malay lah. Its embarrassing u know to see this contradiction.

How are the Malays gonna move up when we ourselves are not proud of becoming one. How are the Malays going to remain when its language is not even spoken. Here....I ponder....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home